Jan 6, 2010
Category: Club News
Posted by: coastkmp_admin

Ontario Car Club History Photo

Two people have been identified. Read on!

Jan 1, 2010
Category: Club News
Posted by: dave_upton

May 31, 2010
Category: Club News
Posted by: dave_upton

Dec 13, 2010
Category: Club News
Posted by: dave_upton


Club Information

Jan 1, 2010

2018 Ontario Ministry of Transportation Info.



Contact information for the Ministry can be found at the bottom of this page.



Year Of Manufacture (YOM) Licence Plates

YOM plates are licence plates that can be attached to a vehicle (passenger vehicle, motorcycle or commercial vehicle under 3000 kg.) that was manufactured in the same year as the plates. For example, an original plate issued in 1959 may be attached to a vehicle manufactured in 1959.

The last year in which Ontario licence plates were manufactured showing the year was 1973. Subsequently, the ministry introduced perennial plates, along with an annual colour-coded validation plate sticker that expire on the owner's birthday.

Registration Criteria

Under the YOM plates program, the following conditions have to be satisfied:

  • The vehicle must be a historic vehicle at least 30 years old and substantially unchanged or unmodified from the original manufacturer's product.
  • Only plates manufactured in Ontario will be considered.
  • The plates will be authenticated by comparing the requested plate with an original sample from the same year to ensure that the requested plate corresponds with the material used, colour scheme, layout and numbering sequence.

Application Process

Before you decide to purchase a set of YOM plates, or send the plates to the Ministry for authentication, you may wish to call the Ministry of Transportation's Telephone Enquiry Unit at 416-235-2999 or 1-800-387-3445 between the hours of 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding statutory holidays, to determine the availability of the plate's alphanumeric combination. It is possible that the alphanumeric combination is already registered on the ministry's vehicle registration system and, as a result, your application will be denied.

Send plates, vehicle registration, and your payment for the YOM application fee of $235.25 * (including GST) to:

Ministry of Government Services – ServiceOntario
Kingston Production & Verification Services
Renewals Section
P.O. Box 9700
Kingston, Ontario   K7L 5N2

* Note: The fee should be in the form of a cheque, money order payable to the "Minister of Finance" or credit card (a credit card number and expiry date must be provided).

A response can be expected within 2-4 weeks. It is recommended that you send the plates and vehicle registration via courier or registered mail. MTO is not responsible for plates lost or damaged in the mail.

  • Once the plate application is reviewed, a letter approving or declining the request is sent to the sender along with the YOM plates.
  • If declined, the application fee and the plates are returned to sender.
  • If approved, the vehicle owner takes the letter of approval and YOM plates to a Driver and Vehicle Licence Issuing Office.
  • The vehicle owner pays the required fees to have the plates registered and attached to the historic vehicle.



Registering a Vehicle in Ontario

About “Street Rods / Hot Rods”
The Ministry of Transportation (MTO) does not have any specific registration requirements for Street Rods under the Highway Traffic Act. Furthermore, we do not have any legal definition of either "street rod" or "hot rod", nor does MTO record this on vehicle permits.

However, the Ministry of the Environment, solely for the purposes of emission inspection requirements under the Drive Clean program, has a legal definition of "hot rod"

Hot Rod: a motor vehicle in which the original motor has been replaced with a motor of a type not installed by the manufacturer on that model year of motor vehicle.

Reference: Ontario Regulation 361-98, made under the Environmental
Protection Act - Motor Vehicles

Classic Vehicles - Historic Vehicles
The term "classic" or "custom" cars are not defined by MTO, nor are either of these terms used on vehicle permits.

If by classic, you mean an antique, vintage or historic motor vehicle, certain antique vehicles are eligible for special licence plates. Owners of "historic vehicles" (model year 30 years ago or older) are eligible to purchase the reduced-fee, limited use "HVA" historic licence plates, or to apply to use vintage "Year of Manufacture - YOM" licence plates.

Custom Vehicles - Kit Cars / Rebuilt Vehicles
With respect to custom cars, the Ministry of Transportation does have specific registration requirements for kit cars and rebuilt vehicles. Information on registration requirements for a kit car or rebuilt vehicle is below.

Kit Cars
Definition: a complete body of a motor vehicle, not including an engine, chassis or drive train. Kit body is a replica of an existing or vintage motor vehicle.

Kit cars are registered in Ontario as:
V.I.N.: Assigned as "ASD" if no 17 -digit V.I.N. on dashboard of kit body
Make: Manufacturer of kit
Model: KIT
Model Year: Year that the kit car was completed and registered with the ministry. If there is not an existing 17-digit V.I.N. on the dashboard, you may request the licence office to provide you with a ministry assigned V.I.N., which you should affix to the dashboard. A V.I.N. is needed before you can obtain a Safety Standards Certificate.

Rebuilt Vehicle
Constructed using various main component parts (body, chassis or frame) obtained from other vehicles or from auto wreckers, dealers or manufacturers, and whose vehicle identification number (V.I.N.), make, model or model year has been affected by this reconstruction. Rebuilt vehicles are registered in Ontario as:
V.I.N.: Of body of the vehicle (CHASSIS/FRAME V.I.N. is not used). If there is no longer an existing V.I.N. on the dashboard, you may request the licence issuing office to provide you with a ministry - assigned as RBT V.I.N., which you should affix to the dashboard. A V.I.N is needed before you can obtain a Safety Standards Certificate.
MAKE: Manufacturer of body of the vehicle (CHASSIS/FRAME manufacturer is not used)
MODEL YEAR: Year that the motor vehicle car was rebuilt and registered with the ministry.

Homemade Vehicle
Constructed without using manufactured main components (e.g. body and chassis / frame both made from scratch), and therefore has no V.I.N.
NOTE: This designation is primarily for homemade trailers, constructed by the owner.

Homemade vehicles are registered in Ontario as:

V.I.N.: assigned "HOM"
MODEL YEAR: Year the homemade vehicle was built and registered with the

Kit cars are not homemade vehicles, for registration purposes

Kit car owners should be aware of a problem with the misuse of the "homemade" classification in registering their motor vehicles.

There have been a number of kit cars which have been incorrectly registered in the past as "homemade," and it appears that this is usually because of the owner misusing the term "homebuilt vehicle" on the notarized affidavit filed with MTO.

Please note that there is no such term on vehicle permits as "homebuilt," and the term "homebuilt" should not be used on notarized affidavits filed with MTO, as it does not properly describe the vehicle, or the origin of the major component parts.

Furthermore, if your kit car is incorrectly registered as model "HOM" instead of model "KIT", you will not be eligible for any exemption from the Drive Clean inspection requirement.

The only motor vehicles which should be registered as "homemade" by MTO, are motor vehicles where both the body and the chassis/frame have been completely constructed by the owner from scratch, without the benefit of a kit or a guide for assembly of the parts, or the purchase of a specialty frame or kit body, or a guide to construct the kit body and/or frame.

Correcting Permit From Model "Hom" (Or Other) To Model "KIT"
If a kit car has been incorrectly registered as model "HOM", to correct the registration, it will be necessary to file a new notarized affidavit with MTO. The new affidavit must properly identify the vehicle as a "KIT," and clearly state the name and address of the manufacturer of the kit or kit body, and also the V.I.N. for the chassis, if the chassis was taken from another vehicle, and the name and address of the previous owner of the chassis. If a specialty frame was used in the construction, instead of using a chassis from another used motor vehicle, this must also be stated in the affidavit, and you must give the name and address of the manufacturer of the specialty frame. If the specialty frames does not have a V.I.N., this should also be stated. We will also need the serial number of the engine and what vehicle it was taken from (make, model year and V.I.N.) and the name and address of the previous owner.

V.I.N. Requirements
Assigned vehicle identification numbers (VINs) are issued for three groups of vehicles: rebuilt motor vehicles, kit cars, and homemade vehicles (NOTE: most of these are homemade trailers).

The prefix for a rebuilt vehicle VIN is RBT, for a kit car, ASD, and for a homemade vehicle, HOM. In all cases where an assigned VIN is required, the documentation required for registration would include a sworn affidavit (statutory declaration), describing where the main component parts (body, chassis/frame and engine, if applicable) were obtained, the reason that an assigned VIN is required, and a statement that the applicant is the legal and rightful owner of the completed vehicle.

Kit Car
If a kit car does not have a 17-digit vehicle identification number (V.I.N.) on the dashboard, MTO will assign a V.I.N. starting with "ASD" at the time the owner brings in the notarized affidavit for the vehicle, and registers it as "unfit" and unplated. The owner then gets the safety standards certificate using the ASD V.I.N.

Rebuilt Vehicle
For a rebuilt vehicle where the body V.I.N. cannot be determined, MTO will assign a 17 digit V.I.N. starting with "RBT" at the time the owner brings in the notarized affidavit for the vehicle, and registers it as "unfit" and unplated. The owner then gets the safety standards certificate using the RBT V.I.N.

Registration Requirements for Kit Cars / Rebuilt Vehicles
The following items should be presented at any at any independently operated Driver and Vehicle Licence Issuing Office in Ontario:

1. Completed Application for Registration (SR-LV-6)

2. A notarized affidavit. Refer to the information below for details that must be stated on affidavit.

3. Photocopies of bills of sale/receipts for main components (i.e.body, chassis/frame, engine, etc.), if available.

4. Permit(s) for vehicle(s) used to rebuild vehicle (for rebuilt/kit vehicle), if available.

5. Safety Standards Certificate for a passenger/commercial vehicle or a motorcycle.
Please see MINIMUM SAFETY STANDARDS FOR ON-ROAD USE, below, for complete list of required equipment.

6. A Drive Clean Vehicle Emissions Pass Report is required for rebuilt vehicles, but not for kit cars. Effective January 1, 2002, kit cars (MODEL "KIT") are exempted from the Drive Clean program.

For more information on Drive Clean requirements, contact the Drive Clean Office at: Ministry of the Environment, Drive Clean Office, 40 St. Clair Ave. West - 4th Floor, Toronto, Ontario, M4V 1M2, TEL: 1-888-758-2999 OR (905) 837-5839.
Web site:

7. Proof of empty weight.

8. Canada Customs Form or documentation with Customs Clearance stamp for parts (e.g. body of vehicle) which were obtained outside Canada. For more information on importation, please call the Registrar of Imported Vehicles at 1-888-848-8240 or (416) 626-1803, or visit their web site:

9. Eight percent retail sales tax (RST) on the declared value of the completed vehicle. For parts you have already paid RST on, the bills of sale must be attached to the notarized affidavit as proof. For more information, please contact: your local Retail Sales Tax field office, or: Ministry of Finance, Retail Sales Tax Branch, Toll-Free Across Canada: 1-888-285-7815 or (905) 433-6170.

10. Fees: (a) To register the vehicle and attach plates when the vehicle owner has his/her own plates $10.00; (b) For new plates and permit $20.00. Note: For plate validation, the owner will be required to buy validation from the date of vehicle registration to the assigned validation expiry date. Fees will be calculated according to the class of vehicle and declaration(s) (e.g. Northern Ontario Resident).

11. Proof of identity for applicant who has never registered a plate or vehicle with the ministry.

Notarized Affidavit Requirements
A notarized affidavit is a sworn statement (also called a Statutory Declaration) made before a Commissioner of Oaths or a Notary Public. It is needed to establish vehicle ownership of the major component parts (body, chassis/frame and engine) used in the vehicle's reconstruction, and to provide a full vehicle description. All independently operated Ontario Driver and Vehicle Licence Issuing Offices may accept affidavits.

1. Full legal name, address and signature of person making the declaration

2. Vehicle description - minimum requirements: make, model, model year, body type and class). If you are attaching permits and/or bills of sale for the component parts, please mention this. Where permits or bills of sale are not available, you must include the V.I.N.s and descriptions of all vehicles from which main component parts have been taken, and list previous owner
information for such vehicles
3. Vehicle Identification Number (V.I.N.), or a statement that a ministry approved/assigned V.I.N. will be used

4. Year vehicle was rebuilt/completed

5. Statement that the vehicle was built with a kit, or is a kit car, by the legal owner of the vehicle, if applicable

6. Statement that the applicant is the legal and rightful owner, has the right
to register the vehicle described, and how ownership was obtained.

Kit Car Notarized Affidavit Q & A's
1. What information does the Ministry of Transportation (MTO) require in the notarized affidavit about the kit car body (fibreglass or sheet metal body)?

Please provide the name, address, city, and province/state/country of the person or company where you purchased the kit car body, as well as the exact date of purchase [month, day and year]. The purchase date stated in your affidavit must match the date on the invoice/bill of sale for the kit car body.

2. If the previous owner/seller of the kit car body did not actually manufacture the kit car, what information does MTO require about the kit car manufacturer?

If the person or company who sold you the kit car body was NOT the actual manufacturer of the body, please list the name and address of the kit car manufacturer in your affidavit (documentation from the kit car manufacturer
about the kit car may be attached to the affidavit, if available). The first four letters of the kit car manufacturer's name will be the MAKE of your kit car. The MAKE will need to be corrected, as well as correcting the MODEL to KIT, if the MAKE does not match the name of the kit car manufacturer.

3. Should I send in photographs of the kit car or copies of its specifications?

Please do not send in photographs of the vehicle. Photographs are not legal proof of the origin of the vehicle parts. As legal proof, MTO needs the complete vehicle description and where you got the parts listed in the affidavit. The only specification documents needed are documents listing
the name and address of the kit car manufacturer, the name of the kit, and the vintage vehicle it is a replica of, if applicable.

4. Can I use the model year, make and model of the vehicle the kit car is a replica of, on the vehicle permit (e.g. 1923 Model T-bucket)?

No. A kit car is not a genuine antique or historic vehicle, even if a number of original antique or vintage parts were used in its construction. MTO is responsible for providing accurate information on our vehicle records, to support law enforcement and consumer protection. Using the model year, make and model of an antique or historic vehicle for registering a kit car could be considered fraud or misrepresentation. A notarized affidavit is a sworn statement, and you are liable for any fraudulent statements made in the affidavit. As vehicle description information, please do include in the affidavit, what make, model and model year the kit car is designed as a replica of.

5. Why can't I have the historic or antique model year, make and model on the vehicle permit, when this would make my vehicle more valuable, or would qualify my car for a special auto insurance rate?

A vehicle permit is designed to describe a vehicle accurately, not to determine its value. For problems obtaining affordable auto insurance, please contact the Financial Services Commission of Ontario (FSCO) for assistance at 1-800-668-0128 or (416) 250-7250. If you need proof of the
kit car's actual value, you may wish to obtain an independent appraisal of the vehicle, from an appraiser knowledgeable about specialty and classic cars. Appraisals are recognized by insurance companies for evaluating insurance rates, and they can also be used to show potential purchasers of the vehicle.

6. What information does MTO need if I constructed the kit body myself ("homebuilt")?

If you made the body yourself [e.g. you purchased sheet metal panels to construct the body, and mounted it on a custom built or specialty frame/chassis], please explain in the affidavit exactly how you constructed the body and where [name, address, purchase date] you purchased the
materials for the body. Attach the bill(s) of sale/invoice(s) for all materials used in the construction of the body. If you used a kit as a guide to construct the body, or used a specialty frame to construct the kit, this is still considered a kit car, and the MAKE will be whoever is the maker of the kit used as a guide to construct the vehicle. The kit maker is considered the manufacturer in this case, and MTO needs the name and address of the kit maker, and the date [month, day and year] you purchased the kit.

7. Do I need to list everything about the origin of the parts in the affidavit, when I have already attached copies of the bills of sale/invoices which give you that information?

Yes. The notarized affidavit is legal proof that you own the completed kit car, and you are making a sworn statement about where and when you obtained or purchased all the main component parts, and when you completed construction of the vehicle. The bills of sale/invoices are in support of the statements you have given in the affidavit, and the affidavit must be complete and accurate. MTO microfilms the affidavit and all your attached bills of sale/invoices and other documentation as a permanent record of this vehicle, for law enforcement purposes, and for the information of potential future owners of this vehicle.

8. Does MTO need the bills of sale for every part used to construct the kit car?

MTO needs to know from whom you purchased the materials used for the body, the chassis (a.k.a. frame), and the engine. You must give a reason in the affidavit why you don't have a bill of sale (e.g. bill of sale was lost, vendor didn't give you a receipt, etc.) for any one of, or any materials used in construction of, the three major component parts. Please also explain in the affidavit why any information is missing as to the name and address of the vendor or the date of purchase. If you bought these parts from a wrecking yard or an auto parts flea market, and the bill of sale is not available, MTO still needs the name and address of the wrecking yard or flea market and the date you purchased the parts. Please do not attach a Certificate of Origin, Title or NVIS, unless this is your only proof of purchase, and you do not have a bill of sale or invoice for the part in question. If you must use one of these three documents, please state in the affidavit which part of the vehicle it is for [e.g. kit car body], and clearly state that it is not for a completed vehicle.

9. What vehicle identification number (VIN) information is needed for the kit car body on the notarized affidavit?

Most kit car bodies do not have a VIN on the dashboard, or if there is a kit car VIN, it is not a 17-digit VIN, which complies with the VINA standards for VINs. Unless your kit car has a 17-digit VIN, MTO will give your vehicle an assigned 17-digit VIN starting with "ASD". If there is an existing kit car VIN, please list it in the affidavit. If there is no VIN, please mention that the kit car body does not have a VIN. If your kit car already was given a "RBT" or "HOM" VIN at the time of the original registration by the issuer, (kit cars should always be given an "ASD" assigned VIN) MTO will not change the existing VIN, we will just change the model to "KIT." Please mention the existing "ASD", "RBT" or "HOM" VIN in the affidavit, if applicable.

10. What vehicle identification number (VIN) information is needed for the chassis or frame on the notarized affidavit?

If the chassis (frame) used in the construction of the kit car has a VIN,
you must include the chassis VIN in the affidavit, and also the model year, make and model of the vehicle where the chassis was taken from. MTO will also need the name, address of the previous owner of the chassis and the purchase date, and attach the bill of sale/invoice for the chassis. Please also attach to the affidavit, the vehicle permit for the chassis, if it is available. NOTE: The chassis VIN will not appear on the vehicle permit, but it is needed as background vehicle description information on the affidavit.

If the chassis/frame is a specialty frame without a VIN, please explain this in the affidavit, and the name, address and purchase date both of the vendor, and the name and address of the specialty frame manufacturer, if it is different from the vendor. If the chassis was custom built for a specific purpose or use, such as for military use only, please explain this in your affidavit as a reason there is no chassis VIN.

11. What vehicle identification number (VIN) information is needed for the engine on the notarized affidavit?

Please list the serial number of the engine in your affidavit, the model year, make, and model of the vehicle the engine is from, and if known, the VIN of the vehicle the engine was taken from. MTO also needs the name and address of the previous owner of the engine and purchase date. NOTE: Provided that MTO issues a vehicle permit with the model "KIT", the vehicle is exempt from Drive Clean emission inspection requirements, regardless of the engine's model year. A "KIT" vehicle permit will be issued, once your affidavit is accepted by MTO.

12. What information is needed for imported kit car parts?

If you imported the kit car parts disassembled, and completed construction of the vehicle in Ontario, you do not need a Vehicle Import 13-0132 form, because the Vehicle Import 13-0132 form is only supplied for fully assembled vehicles. Depending on when you imported the kit car parts into Canada, MTO will need either the document(s) with the Customs Clearance stamp, or if you imported it after March 1, 2002, you may have been given the new Vehicle Import Form 3 for parts. You must attach a photocopy of either one of these Customs forms to your affidavit, and mention in the affidavit, the date you imported the part(s) into Canada.

13. Why does MTO need me to mention in the affidavit the exact date that I completed construction of the kit car, and to state that I am the legal and rightful owner of the completed vehicle?

It usually takes several years from the date the owner purchases the kit car body and chassis to complete construction of the vehicle, and the completion date verifies the date on which the kit car was actually built. The statement that you are the legal and rightful owner of the completed vehicle is a standard statement, required at the end of every affidavit, which is used in support of vehicle registration. You are making a sworn statement that you are the legal owner, and you are verifying that all the parts used in its construction were obtained legally.

Vehicle Safety Standards Requirements
The requirements for issuing a safety standards certificate (SSC) or a structural inspection certificate (SIC) (only used for vehicles/major component parts with major structural damage, branded as SALVAGE or REBUILT) needed for the registration of used motor vehicles, rebuilt vehicles, and kit cars, are governed by the minimum equipment standards in the Highway Traffic Act and its regulations.

Procedures for issuing the SSC or SIC are described in Ontario Regulation 611 made under the Highway Traffic Act. Online version:

NOTE: for historic vehicles, Regulation 611, Schedule 5 specifies that:
"Schedule 5 -inspection requirements and performance standards for historic vehicles
1. Each system and component mentioned in Schedules 1, 2 and 6, that is part of the historic vehicle, shall be inspected and tested and shall be in functional condition relative to its design, construction and operation."

A garage must be licensed as a Motor Vehicle Inspection Station in order to issue either of these certificates.
Ontario Regulation 601 made under the Highway Traffic Act - online version:

Mininum Safety Standards For On-Road Use
Safety standards are listed in Regulation 611 - Safety Inspections under the Highway Traffic Act and the minimum equipment standards under the Highway Traffic Act.

Minimum equipment requirement references in the Highway Traffic Act are as follows:

Section 62 - Lamps & Turn Signals

Section 64 - Brakes

Section 66 - Mirrors, Windshield Wipers, Odometer & Fenders/Mudguards

Section 69 - Tires

Section 72 - Safety Glass

Section 75 - Muffler & horn

Section 103 - Reflectors

Section 106 - Seat belt assemblies

Section 142 - Brake lamp

Highway Traffic Act


Highway Traffic Act RegulationsRegulation 587 Equipment:

Regulation 625 Tire Standards & Specifications:

Emission Inspection (Drive Clean) Requirements
The Ministry of the Environment introduced the Drive Clean Program to address the adverse health effects of smog and pollutants in the atmosphere from motor vehicle emissions, with mandatory emission inspection and maintenance requirements. The Ministry of Transportation has a strong interest in the Drive Clean Program as part of our commitment to reduce the
effects of greenhouse gas emissions, and supports the Ministry of the Environment by delivery of the program through its issuing network.

However, emission inspection regulations are the responsibility of the Ministry of the Environment, Drive Clean Office, and any questions concerning vehicle emission regulations should be directed to that office.


Fee Table

Vehicle-Related TransactionsCost
Vehicle permit and number plate(s) $20.00
Vehicle permit and plate for a trailer $35.00
Vehicle permit and decal for a motorized snow vehicle $30.00
Vehicle permit and plate for an Off-Road vehicle $35.00

Yearly Vehicle Validation FeesCost
Passenger vehicles or motorized mobile homes
In Southern Ontario $74.00*
In Northern Ontario $37.00*
In Southern Ontario $42.00*
In Northern Ontario $21.00*
In Southern Ontario $12.00*
In Northern Ontario $12.00*
Commercial vehicle gross weight 3,000 kg or less
In Southern Ontario $74.00*
In Northern Ontario $37.00*
Commercial vehicle gross weight 3,000 kg or less, personal use
In Southern Ontario $74.00*
In Northern Ontario $37.00*
Historical vehicles $18.00*
Motorized snow vehicles $15.00*

For more information on vehicle registration requirements, please contact:

Ministry of Transportation

Licensing Administration Office
2680 Keele Street, Building A
Downsview, ON
M3M 3E6

Tel: 416-235-2999 or
Toll-free: 1-800-387-3445

Previous page: Home  Next page: Hot Rods Defined